The Regular Council Meeting of the City of Lenox was held on Monday, Aug. 1, 2022, at Lenox City Hall. The following were present: Mayor Henry P. Baker Jr. and Council Members Yolande Boone, Cathy Byron, Lillian McClelland, and Billy Mauldin. Mayor Pro-Tem Carolyne Sanders was present by phone.
Mayor Baker called the meeting to order and led in prayer. Council Member McClelland led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Approval of minutes and financial report
• Council Meeting, Tuesday, July 5, 2022 – Motion made by Council Member McClelland, seconded by Council Member Byron, to approve the minutes as presented. All voted in favor. Motion carried.
• Financial Report and Budget Summary for June 2022 – Motion made by Council Member Byron, seconded by Council Member Boone, to approve the Financial Report and Budget Summary for June 2022 as presented. All voted in favor. Motion carried.
Lean-Ox Festival – Almaree Thomas was present for the Lean-Ox Festival Committee.
Mrs.Thomas said everything is still on schedule for the Lean-Ox Festival on Nov. 18 and 19, 2022. Vendors have already started submitting applications for booths.
The Lean-Ox Festival has not been celebrated since 2019 due to the COVID pandemic. 2020 would have marked the 40th anniversary of the annual event.
Steve Edwards, Waste Management – Edwards said he had sent a letter to the Mayor and Council stating that the garbage fees would have to be adjusted due to global inflation and fuel costs.
He was asking the Mayor and Council to move forward with these adjustments on Nov. 1, 2022.
The Mayor and Council are agreeable to the adjustment and will be discussing the amount of the adjustment at the next work session. They will vote on that amount at the Regular Council meeting in September.
• Public Works/Water/Sewer – Chris Yawn said they had been doing routine maintenance and trying to keep up with mowing the grass as well as fixing water leaks.
• Police Department – Chief Shane Daughtrey said there have been several entering auto cases reported.
The chief was asking that everyone please lock your vehicles at night. The perpetrators have not broken any windows to get into any of the vehicles. They have only been entering vehicles that have been left unlocked.
The Police Department is working diligently to capture the offenders.
• Fire Department – Chief Dustin Howell was absent.
• Cook County Planning Commission – Chris Yawn reported no new business for the City of Lenox.
Outstanding water/sewer billing – The Mayor and Council received an outstanding water/sewer billing report for their review.
Ordinance Adopting and Enacting a New Code for the City of Lenox
Motion made by Council Member Boone, seconded by Council Member Byron, to adopt the Ordinance. All voted in favor. Motion carried.
Motion made by Council Member Byron, seconded by Council Member McClelland, to adjourn the meeting. All voted in favor. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned.